Information for the Visitor to Campbell River

Join our Facebook Page for up-to-date information on Hiking:  GO HIKING Vancouver IslandGO HIKING Vancouver Island, Join our Facebook Group

Things to do in Campbell River, Quadra Island and the Region

A comprehensive list of ideas for your itinerary.

Visitor Information Center

To aid in organizing your travel in the Campbell River area there is a Visitor Centre located in the downtown core at the Tyee Plaza:

Address: 1235 Shoppers Row, Campbell River BC, V9W 2C7
Phone: 250-286-6901
Fax: 250-286-6948
The Visitor Information Centre provides a broad range of visitor services, from specialized visitor counselling, supportive travel information and periodicals, to accommodation reservations and transportation and ticketing services.

For Entry into Canada – Canada Customs

International visitors to our country who are not citizens of the United States must be in possession of a valid passport and may also require a visa. Contact the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy for more information. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires all persons who enter or re-enter the United States via air, land or sea from any foreign destination to have a passport or another accepted form of documentation. For more information visit:

Alternate :

Pleasure Boats and Private Aircraft

Boaters must contact Canada Customs upon arrival at an approved reporting site. Private aircraft must contact Canada Customs prior to arrival. For further information concerning customs regulations contact the
Canadian Border Services Agency

Toll Free: 1-800-46- 9999 for within Canada
Alternate: 1-204-983-3500 for outside Canada

Driving Laws & Regulations

Driver’s licences
A valid out-of-province driver’s licence including an international licence can be used within British Columbia for up to six months. For inquires contact:

Service British Columbia

Phone: 250-286-7555 locally or
Toll Free: 1-800-663-7867.

Seatbelts are mandatory and must be worn by all drivers and passengers. Strict car and booster seat regulations are in place for children up to nine years old or 145 centimetres (57 inches) tall. For more details:

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia


It is the Law in British Columbia that helmets are required for all bicyclists and motorcyclists.

Drinking and Driving
It is a criminal offence in British Columbia to operate, or be in the care or control of a vehicle, whether in motion or not, with a blood alcohol content or more than .05. Frequent road side test may be in evidence and immediate impoundment of vehicles and strict fines may occur.

Cell Phones and Driving
The use of cell phones or other electronic devices while driving is against the law in British Columbia and subject to severe financial penalties.

Motor Vehicle Accidents
If you are involved in an accident, immediately contact the local police or RCMP at 911 or in a non emergency in the Campbell River area 250-286-6621, in addition to your own insurance company. The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) has a 24 hour motor vehicle accident phone line at 1- 800-910-4222.

Right on Red
It is permissible to turn right on a red light when it is safe to do so and after making a full stop, unless signs indicate otherwise.

Travelling by Road, Air & Water

Air Travel

Most major destinations in British Columbia can be accessed by Air; Regional airlines have scheduled service throughout the province with world-wide connections. Campbell River and region host several large airlines with regular scheduled service, in addition to local airlines that operate summer excursions, specialty scheduled charter flights and custom charters. For detailed information regarding domestic and international air travel visit our transportation pages.

Road Travel

Vancouver Island North region has an excellent highway system as well as an extensive network of logging roads, both active and inactive, for access to even the remotest of regions.

On the highway system and the inter-city roadways speed limits are clearly posted and strictly enforced. It is suggested that extreme caution be exercised on all logging roads, with particular attention given to speed and the oncoming traffic. On the highway system destination distances and off ramps are clearly indicated. For current road conditions visit


Bus Travel

Intercity busses service the entire community of Campbell River from Duncan Bay Road to Oyster River, supplied by Campbell River Transit at 250 – 287 – 7433. Private or Charter services are also available from a selection of fine operators see our transportation pages.

Ferry Services

The British Columbia Ferry fleet is one of the largest fleets of ferries in the world, with almost 50 ports of call along the BC Coastline, on Vancouver Island North we are dependent on a number of Ferries that create a lifeline to many of our Islands and mainland neighbours, access to these ferry routes are to Quadra Island, Cortes Island, Malcolm Island, Port Rupert to the North, Little River to Powell River, Departure Bay and Duke Point from Nanaimo and Swartz Bay to Tssawasen from Victoria. For information regarding fares, routes and times or to make reservations visit

British Columbia Ferry Corporation

Phone: 250-386-3431
Toll Free: 1-88- 223-3779 in North American

For private marine charter services see our Marine Transportation pages.

Emergency Information

Emergency 911

In emergency situations, contact the local police, ambulance service, fire department and other emergency services dialling calling 911.

Tourist Alert

The news media and many tourist facilities co-operate with the RCMP to communicate urgent messages to visitors. If you see or hear your name, please phone the number associated or call the local visitor information centre at

Phone: 250-286-0441.

Hospital and Medical Services

Visitors from outside of Canada should clarify coverage provided by their personal insurance carriers and may wish to obtain additional health insurance before coming to British Columbia.

Services for Disabled persons

Guide Animal Act

The Guide Animal Act stipulates that a person with a disability accompanied by a guide animal have the same rights, privileges and obligations as a person not accompanied by an animal. As well, a fee may not be charged for a guide animal accompanying a person with a disability.

Hearing Impairment

Services are available at:

the Western Institute for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing

Phone: 604-736-7391 (voice)
Alternate: 604-736-2527 (TTY)



British Columbia’s Provincial Parks holds a complete list of Municipal, Provincial, and Marine Parks in addition to all of the Ecological Reserves on the North end of Vancouver Island. Visit our Parks pages for more detailed information.

General Information

Hotel Room Tax:
All hotel rooms on Vancouver Island north are subject to the 12% Harmonized sales tax. Some types of accommodation are not subject to the tax, including tent or trailer sites supplied by a campground or trailer park. Some local municipalities on the island levy an additional hotel room tax of up to two percent. For more information:

Phone: 1-877-388-4440


For a complete list of all accommodation properties on the North Island visit our accommodation pages.

Currency Exchange

Generally Visa, MasterCard, Debit and Traveller’s cheques are accepted at most places of business. Exchange of currency into Canadian dollars can generally be done at any banking institution, for a complete list of our banking institutions visit our Banking & ATM pages.

Metric Conversions

Canada uses the metric system. Quick following conversions may be useful.

1 Canadian Gallon = 4.5 Litres
1 American Gallon = 3.8 Litres
Miles X 1.6 Kilometres
Kilometres X 0.6 = Miles
30 degrees Celsius = 86 degrees Fahrenheit
20 degrees Celsius = 68 degrees Fahrenheit
0 degrees Celsius = 32 degrees Fahrenheit
-10 degrees Celsius = 14 degrees Fahrenheit

For more detailed conversions visit our metric conversions pages.

Time Zones and Daylight Savings Time

Vancouver Island is on Pacific Standard Time, which is one hour behind Mountain Standard Time (Alberta and Eastern regions of British Columbia) and three hours behind Eastern Standard Time (Ontario and New York).

The Weather

Winters are generally mild on the coast, with precipitous snowfall in the mountainous regions between November and March.

Summers are generally warm enough to wear shorts, short-sleeved shirts and light dresses. It is advisable to also bring sweaters and trousers for cooler evenings. Spring and autumn can often be very warm and pleasant. Dresses, shorts and short-sleeved shirts can often be worn, however it is advisable to have sweaters, trousers and a light coast or jacket. When venturing into the back country or on the water. For more information on what to wear for different activities visit our outdoor activities pages.

Canadian Civic Holidays 2015

Often business’s will close during Civic Holidays, although this is not mandatory most banking institutions and government agencies will not be in operation for these calendar days.

Civic Holiday
New Year’s DayJanuary 1
Family DayFebruary 9
Good FridayApril 3
Easter MondayApril 6
Victoria DayMay 18
Canada DayJuly 1
BC DayAugust 3
Labour DaySeptember 7
Thanksgiving DayOctober 12
Remembrance DayNovember 11
Christmas DayDecember 25