During the Shaking
There is no substitute for Drop, Cover and Hold:
If you are indoors, stay there. Drop, cover and hold. Get under a desk or table and hang on.
- If outdoors, get into an open area away from trees, telephone poles, brick buildings, chimneys and power lines.
- If in a high-rise building, stay away from windows and outside walls. Get under a table or desk and do not use the elevator.
- If driving, when it is safe to do so look around for hazards such as power poles and trees then pull your car to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses or power lines. Remain inside until the shaking is over.
- If in a crowed public place, do not rush for the doors, stay in doorways and archways and do not enter a staircase. Move away from display shelves containing glass or objects that may fall.
- In all instances, drop, cover and hold; protect your head as much as possible.